It has been a hard week. The chicken accident was upsetting, and then the death of our LGD, Tundra, has knocked the wind out of all of our sails. But despite that, we are trying to get up and keep going and work on what needs working on.
The garden is beautiful and bountiful. We will be entering some of the awesome veg from it into the county fair this week. Last year our carrots won first place at fair, which makes us pretty happy because we are growing our garden at a much higher elevation and harsher climate than most all of the competitors at our county fair. This year we will be entering more than just carrots and we will see how it goes.
I made and froze some green base this week since we had an over-abundance of spinach. Green base is orange juice blended with spinach in a food processor or blender. We use it in our smoothies. About 3 times a week we have goat’s milk kefir smoothies for our morning snack. Our favorite recipe is bananas, mango, green base, raspberries, blackberries, and kefir. During the growing season we use fresh spinach from the garden to make the green base, but in the winter I use frozen green base that I make and freeze in ice cube trays during the summer. It is nice to get some of that put into the freezer for later.
Our one-year-old LGD pup has continued to do well with her training since the chicken accident. While Tundra’s absence leaves a hole in the barnyard, Anya’s presence does somewhat soothe that pain and fill the hole a little, especially when she is being silly and cute and we can’t help but smile at her. The other day she got on top of the compost heap, dug a little, and then rolled down the side of the heap sideways, then ran back up and did it again. She just kept rolling down the side like a little kid playing. Then she dug herself a nest on top, and plopped down in it. It was so cute.
As hard as it is to lose Tundra, it is very relieving to have Anya and know that our livestock are still going to be safe and protected. We really can’t keep livestock up here in the mountains without something to protect them.
The new goats, Fern and Clover, are settling well and their milk production has actually gone up quite a bit from the first stressful days of them being here. Clover is definitely more laid back, and Fern is kind of high strung. We are happy to have fresh milk again, and made mozzarella this week for our Friday-night-homemade-pizza-and-a-movie tradition.
And then there were two…we butchered another cockerel and are down to only two now. We put them both out with the flock of girls and will watch them in the coming weeks to see which one we like better to keep as our breeding roo. If they can get along and not beat up the girls too much we might keep them both.
We now have three pullets laying. We get two little green eggs and one little brown one, in addition to the hens’ larger eggs each day.
The weaning nose rings worked and about 8 days after we put them into the lambs’ noses, the ewes’ udders were dried up and we could take the rings out of the lambs’ noses. The lambs are none the worse for the wear and all is well. We really like using those for our weaning. Now the ewes can gain some weight and be ready for breeding season late this fall.