Hard to believe, but the start of a new year has arrived. It has been cold here, but mostly dry, just a little dusting of snow here and there. The cold has been very steady at about 20s at night and 30s during the day. This is strange for our area, we usually have more ups and downs. We have been down to 0 a few times, but for the most part it has been very steady the last month. The snow from Thanksgiving still has not fully melted because we have had so few days warm enough to deal with it. Also, the sun has been hiding more lately. Anya takes advantage of every minute of sun she can soak up – they are few and far between lately.
Most every Saturday is homestead project day. Sometimes it is big projects and sometimes it is a long list of a lot of small things. This week it was the long-list-of-small-things Homestead Saturday. We cleaned out the coops, added bedding to the jugs, cleaned out the back of the truck from transporting Pansy, fixed the back yard fence, started building the last section of barnyard fence with wood and wire (to replace the panels), did some mechanic work on two of the vehicles, and measured the new garden and graphed it out for garden planning.
The incubation is coming along nicely. We started with 23 eggs in there. There was 1 infertile, and 2 early deaths. We now have 20 eggs in there and we are 12 days into the 21 day incubation.
Pansy came home!
She is pregnant and due in April. It is nice to have her back.
Neither Blue, nor Daisy, came back into heat when they could have. So we have two more confirmed pregnancies. That makes 4 ewes pregnant of the 5.
Maggie still hasn’t had her first heat, and we are guessing she wont this year. But you never know, we could have a surprise June baby.
Remi is staying in with the girls for ease of management and so he doesn’t have to be alone. He will come out once they get close to lambing.
We tried out two new recipes from the Natural Cheesemaking book. One was mozzarella. I already have a good recipe for mozz, but decided to try his out. It did not go very well, but I think that my rennet was the issue.
Then we used his recipe with a kefir culture to make Chevre. It was a huge disaster and we ended up with a stinky, hole-filled floating mass of “cheese” that smelled terribly strong of yeast. I don’t know what happened. My kefir was too strong? The mass of cheese curds were supposed to sink and they were not supposed to be filled with air pockets. Hmmmm. Rethinking this whole natural cheesemaking – going back to the drawing board and trying to figure out what to do.
I finished Braveheart’s socks in time for Christmas. I used the Seeded Rib Socks pattern by Ann Bud and Knitpicks Hawthorne Fingering Kettle Dye yarn in the colorway Fawn.
I am now overwhelmed with knitting work. I can’t show them to you yet, though, because they are all gifts except the poncho knit-a-long I am doing and falling terribly behind on.
And hoping to get the loom warped again for another weaving project soon.
I used to scrapbook the old-fashioned way, and loved it. But life with a bunch of kids and little time makes that type of scrapbooking not work for me at this stage. So I use Shutterfly to make photo books. I like to make 12×12 size books of our family for each year. Then I also like to do 8x8s for each child for each year, and for any vacations/trips we take too. I generally stay pretty well caught up (like within a year or two), but I am falling more and more behind, so I have dedicated January to working on catching those up.
We finished our shower remodel and we are both so happy with how it turned out! It is beautiful, and functional, and bigger than it used to be. This project has needed to be done since the first day we moved in 7.5 years ago. It is so nice to have it completed.
Jerry and Hazel
A couple weeks ago Jerry decided he liked to lay in Hazel’s crate each morning, and as predicted, Hazel has decided that it is ok to share it.