Eve hatched out 6 of her 8 eggs this week. The chicks are adorable and Eve is being the wonderful mama that she always is.
We have had really bad chicken lice issues this year. Our usual two treatments ten days apart hasn’t been working. So we are currently doing 5 treatments each 7 days apart, hoping that will fix it. We have done 3 of the 5 treatments now. This last time we only saw eggs, no live lice. So we are making progress. At our first treatment 75% of the flock had very bad infestations. We are also adding DE and wood ash to their dust bathing areas.
In our area of the Rockies the pine beetle has worked its way through over the last decade, killing millions of acres of trees. It is estimated one in fourteen trees was killed by pine beetles. It has changed the area drastically. For us, there has been some good to come from it though. Mtn Man is skilled at tree removal and with our family working together to load slash and trunks we can make quick work of the process. Many people have dead trees on their properties and want them taken down. And we need lumber for our farm projects and firewood. So we often remove trees for people and haul them to the lumber mill. A lot of our farm has been built with that lumber.
We took down two HUGE trees about a month ago and they are back from the mill now, ready for our projects. The two main projects on the list right now are to build a retaining wall and fill it in to make a safe, flat place for Mr Smiles to play because he is unable to walk on uneven or tilted ground. Second, we are building another raised bed, terraced veggie garden. We are going to double our veggie garden space, which will be awesome!
Fall is the time of year we do all of our building projects around the homestead, as well as gather and prepare all of our firewood for winter, plus canning and preserving food for winter. The list is so long. We are doing our best to chip away at it, but with all the other things in our life right now it has been hard to eeek out time.
We were able to pick up a tractor this week that we are borrowing for some of the projects. We started by doing a good turning of the compost piles in the barnyard, combining them together, and then fencing off the bottom area of the barnyard in preparation for finishing the last of the wood fencing there.
We started with the barnyard just being metal panel fencing. Over the years we have done one section at a time of permanent fencing. We now have the lumber for the last permanent section and hopefully can get that done this fall.
Now we will use the tractor to prepare the area for Mr. Smiles’ safe play area and the new garden. Then we need to build those and bring in fill dirt for the play area and soil for the garden. We plan to stir together some store-bought mixed with our own compost from the barnyard. Then we will get to fencing the new garden and finish the barnyard fencing. Hopefully we can accomplish all of that this fall.
We are continuing to work with the new sheep and get them friendly. Daisy, who was the shy-est, is now a totally teddy bear. She comes over for scratches and pets and leans into us and tries to “groom” us back while we pet her. She is SO sweet.
The other two ewes are coming along a lot slower, and I am not sure that Marigold will ever soften up and be a good milk sheep. She is quite the wild one and I can’t picture her standing nicely in a stanchion being milked, but time will tell.
The ram is already friendly enough, you have to be careful with rams to not have them too friendly, nor too unfriendly for safety purposes.