We had a beautiful, sunny, warm week. We had snow one day, but the rest were clear!
We got our first seeds in the ground outside this week. Whoooohooo! We put in some lettuce, spinach, kale, onions, carrots, and peas. We also were excited to start some seeds in our NEW medicinal herb garden. We planted yarrow and red clover in that garden.
The Vegetable Garden – looks bare right now – but there is hope planted in that soil.
We also got a temporary retaining wall up between the onion patch and the main garden because it was time to plant the onions but we weren’t ready to buy the wood for the real retaining wall. We just used some plywood scraps and it is ugly, but it works for now.
Once that was up we were able to finish prepping the soil, stretch out the drip hoses, and plant the onions.
We also moved a bunch of seedlings up to the living room window from the grow lights downstairs. This is the first step in hardening them off in preparation for them moving outside.
The girls and I shifted from the kitchen (where we have been doing projects the last few weeks) to the sewing room. We sewed flannel PJs for everyone, and made some skirts and dresses as well. We need to make more in the coming weeks as we find time.
We also spent time sewing on a project we are doing for Operation Christmas Child. I will show that in a future post.
I started a new scrap knitting project. I am making an afghan of squares made with sock yarn scraps. I am doing a simple mitered square pattern with 40 stitches to start (20 each side).
The Red Ranger meat chicks…
…are very big compared to the layer chicks…
It is interesting having the comparison. That second picture also has the Silkie chicks in it and the Frizzle that I got as a last minute addition. You can see the Frizzle is the small black one in the front – and it is not at all Frizzle-y. I don’t know anything about Frizzles and how many of them in a batch don’t actually Frizzle, but clearly this one didn’t.
The meat chicks are aggressive and constantly fighting each other. They only have 4 weeks left before butcher day, thank goodness. We switched them to finisher ration today.
We had a hen that wanted to brood so we put our older rooster, Abraham, in with the hens to start working on some fertilized eggs for the broody hen.
He has been getting more and more aggressive in the last couple months and after only two days out with the girls he attacked me quite viciously. I fought him off without any injury, but since our kids are heavily involved around the farm we do not keep roosters that attack humans. In our experience they attack based on size, so if they will attack the adult-sized human then they are even more apt to go for the smaller humans.
So he was butchered today which was a bummer because he was a really beautiful Buff Chantecler. But thankfully, we have one of his sons and he is also very nicely built and has an even smaller comb and wattles – which we really want in our roos because of our cold winters. So we put the younger rooster in with the hens.
We also have an egg eating hen, and one of the hens is laying super thin-shelled eggs. The egg eater is only targeting those eggs, not regular eggs. It could be the same bird, two different birds, or multiple birds. We are working to figure out what the answer is. We found one sitting on the broken egg with yolk on her beak. She did not lay it, because we know she lays green eggs and the eaten egg was light brown. So that hen is the eater, but not the layer. We pulled her from the group and put her in her own cage for now while we watch and see if there are any others eating them and try to figure out who is laying the super thin shells.
4-5 times a year we go through the entire flock, check each bird over carefully for lice and any other issues, make sure they still have their leg band on, clip wings on the ones who have grown back in, and update all our flock tracking paperwork. We did that this weekend and moved some of them around to different pens and such as well. We have had a really bad time with lice this winter. I don’t know if that is because it was such a mild winter, or maybe because we didn’t let them free-range as much, but it has been more prevalent than previous years. So we dusted them all. It feels good to be all caught up on those regular chicken maintenance chores.
And that is the update from our little farm in the mountains!