Wow, it has been 4 weeks since I did a Sunday Homestead Update! Life is just a bit crazy around here with warmer weather, gardening, animals, tying up the end of school, the fiber mill getting busy, attending and preparing for fiber festivals, family coming to town to visit…the list goes on and on. I am so busy living the homestead life that it is hard finding time to document it in photos and blog posts.
The garden is going well. Since the update I posted a couple days ago we have gotten the new pole bean arch built and up and planted the seedlings by it.
Mtn Man made this out of part of a cattle panel.
The last of the seeds and seedlings are all in the ground, so the main part of planting season is officially over. I will still plant succession lettuce and spinach, and I also will plant a few things later for fall crops.
The fiber mill is starting to get busy, which is so wonderful! Mtn Man attended the FiberTrain Festival in Idaho to promote our mill. He took Young Man with him and they met a lot of great people in the fiber industry. They also were sweet enough to bring me back something pretty:
I am beginning to dream of what to make with them.
I have just finished up the front of Mr. Smiles’ sweater. I am now starting on the sleeves. I am really happy with this pattern so far and think it will be adorable when finished.
Sheep and LGDs
Tundra and Anya continue to do their job well now that the bears are out of hibernation. We have had a couple of bear visits. Anya’s bark seems to have a better effect on the bears than Tundra’s has – they have high tailed it out of here faster than usual. It also might have to do with two dogs barking as opposed to just one. But Anya does have a very deep, very BIG dog bark that would send me high-tailing it out of here too if I was the one she was barking at.
We integrated the older hens in with the young pullets in the upper coop and are letting them free range in the barnyard while Anya gets used to them. We also moved the cockerels down into the lower coop.
We got some work done on some of our farm projects this weekend too.
We finished the ram shed, which is a three sided shelter in the ram pen that we framed with pallets, stuffed with raw wool skirtings, and sided with rough sawn board and batten from the tree we took down last fall. Eventually, the ram will live in the back barnyard during the day and this shed will be his shelter. At night he will be closed in his own stall in the barn for safety from predators.
The second project we did was put in the permanent fence to separate the front barnyard from the back barnyard.
It was previously separated by horse panels with wire attached.
Sorry for the light difference in the photos, one was the early morning light before we started, and the other is the early evening light when we finished.
We built in a section of the fence to be a feeder similar to our other fence feeders, we just didn’t finish it yet. We also built in a section where the water trough can be under the fence and thus shared by both barnyards.