We are preparing for Mr. Smile’s 5th surgery and hospitalization coming up this month. Our experiences so far are making it a little easier to prepare and know more of what to expect from life in a pediatric hospital. One of the things that came to my mind as I began to think about the upcoming stay was something for Mr. Smiles to wear while he was there.
When he was an infant, we just kept him in his diaper, swaddled in a blanket. And all the cords and tubes attached to him didn’t matter. But now that he is one-year-old, and a rolling, rocking, wiggling, on-the-move little guy, having him in a diaper wrapped in a blanket isn’t likely to work.
The hospital provides gowns, or we could buy specially made gowns from sellers on Etsy. But a roly-poly baby in a diaper and gown doesn’t really work either, and I am concerned he will be cold. I want him to be able to wear comfy footy pajamas. But he will be hooked up to all sorts of cords and tubes, and they can be coming out of his arms, hands, legs, feet, and chest. So he needs jammies that can accommodate all those items and locations, as well as jammies that can be put on and taken off without having to detach any of his equipment.
I have found so many awesome pediatric medical products being sewn and created by people on Etsy, but no matter how much I searched I couldn’t find any pajamas like what I was looking for. They had pants that would go with the gowns they made, but the pants pull on from the bottom, and thus need anything hooked to his feet and legs to be detached in order to put them on or off.
So my DIY, sewing, homesteading mama spirit kicked in and I figured it would be pretty easy to make some of exactly what I wanted.
I needed to start with PJs that snapped up the entire front and down both legs. And I figured I needed them to be a little bit bigger than his current size so as to accommodate cords and tubes and such. Thankfully, I found exactly what I wanted in a bag of hand-me-downs. There were two pairs of fleecy full body suits that snapped up the front and down both legs. They weren’t footy PJs, but they were close enough, and I can put socks or slippers on his feet to keep them warm.
I cut along the top of each sleeve from the neck hole to the wrist hole. Then I used bias tape to finish the raw edges. I tried to attach snaps along the edges, but the fabric plus bias tape was too thick to have them attach firmly and properly. So I opted for sewing on velcro tabs instead.
It was as simple as that!
We now have two comfy outfits for him to wear that can be put on and off without detaching any equipment, and give access for all the cords and tubes to come out of his clothing in whatever location is necessary. I hope they will add comfort and ease to his hospital stay. I will let you know how they work out!