The signs of spring are beginning to pop up all around us. This morning I enjoyed watching a nuthatch spring-clean the bird house she nests in each year. She went in, and then kept popping her head out over and over again and dropping stuff to the ground.
The Honeyberry bushes are beginning to have a few tiny green buds on them too.
Indoors, we have seedlings sprouting under our grow lights.
Several of the tomatoes have sprouted, along with some rhubarb and leeks.
We added another light fixture to the grow-light shelving unit.
We planted celery, cabbage, rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, oregano, cilantro, mint, and basil this week. We will be trying our hand at starting onions from seed this year as well, and will get those in soil this afternoon.
Keeping track of what is planted in which cell is always a challenge for us. We have tried labeling popsicle sticks, buying the plastic plant labels, using tape, and graphing them out. Every method has it pros and cons. This year, because of how the shelving unit is, I decided to laminate the graphing papers that came with my seed starting trays and hang them from the shelves with binder clips. That way I can write on them with dry erase markers, so if something doesn’t sprout and I replant something else in its place it will be easy to erase and rewrite. I will keep the sheets to use again next year.