Not much to say for our homestead update this week. We have been battling illness for several days now, so life is more about just doing what is necessary to keep the animals safe and fed and the garden alive while we try to rest and heal. Hopefully we will be all feeling much better very soon.
I have a few pictures to share.
We have a few volunteer onions that somehow survived the winter and have come up in the garden this year and are flowering. We are hoping to save seeds from them. The flowers are really pretty, and it has been interesting to see them go through their process.
Our first tomato is ripening! This is quite an exciting occurrence since we have never grown tomatoes in this location before due to the climate. Granted, this first tomato to ripen is being grown inside as the control group for our tomato experiment this year, but it is exciting nonetheless.
We are also doing a little experiment that we just started this week with turnips, beets, and spinach. We are hoping for a late frost this year so that our experiment will have long enough to play out…time will tell. The last two years our spinach, beets, and turnips have been ruined by leaf miners and root maggots. From what we read, if they have row cover on for most of the early stages of growth it keeps these pests out (assuming they haven’t overwintered in the soil). So we have built a raised bed box and made it plenty high to house the plants and put a lid of tight screen on it. We planted them in there last weekend and they are starting to sprout. It will be interesting to know if this method would keep these pests away.
Lastly, I leave you with a photo of my new favorite pullet of all of the stock born this year…I have named her Lavender. She is very friendly, and has some good potential to be in the breeding program next year. I do wish her comb was a bit smaller (as far as the breeding program goes), but she might make the cut even with it.