Sunday Homestead Update

In the Garden

100_1160 100_1159

There are signs of coming yumminess around here.  We are anticipating eating the strawberries, currants, honeyberries, and gooseberries that are beginning to flower and turn into berries!

100_1179We harvested the small amount of asparagus that we can take this year since it is only the first full year in the ground (they were 2-year-old roots to begin with) – YUM – and the rest are now spreading out for the year.

100_1166And one variety of tomato that we planted, the Independence Day, is putting on flowers on several of the plants, both indoors and outdoors.


The hope for a good harvest is so fun!

We are continuing to battle the aphids and flea beetles.  The garlic water seems to work, very short-term, so we are applying it often.  The neem oil and horticulture oil should be arriving early next week.  Hopefully they will work better.

I found out this week that cabbage worms like Brussels sprouts too, through reading another blog.  Somehow in all of my reading I had never realized that before.  So we put the wood ashes around the base of them as well (we had already put it around the base of the cabbage).  We will see if they are a good preventative.  This is our first year of trying this method.

In the Sewing Room

I posted yesterday that I have been making cloth napkins for our family everyday use.  I have also been working on a gingham embroidery project.  I love gingham embroidery because it is so simple and yet so stunning.  I will post more about this project once it is done, but for now, here is a peek.


In the Barnyard

Two of the ewes were shorn this week, Stella and Daphne.  Their wool was getting long, and Stella was constantly itching on anything and everything.  The tree, the big rock, the side of the barn, the water trough…anything.  She is feeling much better now, to be rid of that heavy, hot, itchy wool coat.

I wasn’t able to get pics of them before the shearing without their jackets, but you can tell even with the jackets on how wooly they were.  We got two very nice fleece off of them.

2 10 11

1 15 16

Watching a good shearer in action is a pretty amazing thing.  They can get one sheep done in about 2 minutes flat.  We are blessed to have access to talented shearers.

In the Coop

After we realized that all the eggs under Eve and Ruth were infertile, I quickly worked to find some fertile hatching eggs for sale to put under them.  We found some and traded them out with the infertile eggs under the girls on Tuesday.  So the 21 day countdown has been reset.  The eggs are a combination of Black Copper Marans, Blue Marans, F1 generation Olive Eggers, and F2 generation Olive Eggers.  Hopefully we will get a few out of the hatch that we want to keep, although the combs are likely to be too big for what we are looking for, but the main purpose of this was to give the girls something to set on, so if we end up selling most that is fine too.


I will post later this week about what we found as the cause of Boaz’s infertility.

New Addition to the Farm

We have been contemplating it for months, and we finally made a decision.  Meet the newest addition to our farm, Ollie.


Ollie is an English Angora rabbit. He will be producing beautiful and soft fiber for me to spin. As well as giving us something adorable to look at!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s